Meta Ruins of Myvolia

Terrence-Veniset-So it begins...pt3

Terrance watches the weakened guards last bit of life get sucked from his body. The corpse falls to the ground with a slump. The village women scream as they see a friend, brother or father fall lifeless to the stone floor.

Strike your fallen brother now or prepare to fight another when he rises.

With that being said, and seeing how the guards all missed, Terrance knows the only way to defeat this devil spawn is to knock it off its black cold ass. He crouches and springs towards the wight and gets in close by side stepping to its right and then the left and hooks his rapier through the legs of the wights, attempting to make it fall to the ground and then following with an attack.

Sit down!!!!

Terrence Yells…….

Using my bluff to feint in combat as a move action followed by a trip attack:
Improved Feint:
Bluff = d20 + 11 = 16 + 11 = 27
If Bluff is successful target loses his dex bonus from its AC.
Improved Trip:
Tripping Melee attack = d20 + 8 = 20 (natural, ask my roommates lol) + 8 = 28
Tripping Strength check = d20 + 3 (str) + 4 (improved trip feat bonus) = 18 + 3 + 4 = 25 vs targets str or dex roll (whatever has highest bonus)
If Trip Successful, target is prone and attacker can make an attack as if he didnt use it for his trip attempt..
Following Melee Attack = d20 + 8 = 20 (another natural) + 8 = 28
Critical = d20 + 8 = 5 + 8 = 13 assuming not critical even while wight is prone
Damage = d6 + 3 = 4 + 3 = 7

HP:41
Ac: 19

View
A Night in Veniset 7
Death stalks on two legs

Hourglass
4:21pm



Veniset: Town Square

Scrambling up the ladder and onto the rickety bridge spanning between the church and the building flanking it, Matrim shuddered as the cold wind tore through his clothing, drawing out goose pimples across his flesh. Gaining the top of the bridge the ranger turned to look in the high-set windows that were spaced evenly along the sides of the church. The coloured glass beamed brightly in the growing gloom, displaying images of the great rebellion fomented by Saint Lucius that toppled the Myvolin Empire and paved the way for a new world. Truly, they were beautiful works, undoubtedly brought to this far northern town at great cost, but at that moment they hindered site into the interior of the building, leaving Matrim with nothing but the impression of movement beyond.

In the square below a cluster of men crowded about the heavy doors of the church, desperate to have them open. Four large Ulnoran men strained in vain against the barred portal, but neither pulling nor pushing caused the doors to budge. In mounting frustration Captain Gregor called for axes.


Veniset: The Church

Inside the church the crowd of women and children pressed forward, desperate to be away from the deadly assailant. The wight lashed out once more at the guard slumped pitifully on his knees. The man let loose one final, withering cry as he collapsed to the floor, still now.

Three guards, each with short swords, lunged forward at the terrible wight, hacking at it with purpose. The undead creature was powerful, however, and turned all of the attacks aside without any apparent injury. It’s menacing eyes burned fervently and with a vigour that had grown more potent from consuming the dead villager’s life.

Two more guards, shouting and pushing their way through the crowd of women managed to make the stairs, rushing to aid their brethren and turn the odds against the horrible undead. Terrence, seeking to assist threw himself into the throng, making his way as quickly as he was able.


The Lumber Camp

From his knees Ulof turned his head to see the arrival of the deadly assailants. The master of the camp’s wound was mortal and his lifeblood poured freely into the snow around him. Raising his voice, he shouted to the gathered men who stood action-less nearby.

Get away you fools! Them bastards weren’t lyin’. The dead have come to claim you!

His chest heaving in short breaths as his swarthy cheeks drained to a pale white, Ulof choked down his death rattle.

I SAID BEGONE, YOU FUCKIN’ BASTARDS!

The roar of their master’s voice snapped the men into action. As the dead shambled closer six men ran to help Alma free the horses. Others checked the fallen, to see if any could be saved. Four others took up their axes and moved to help Lornaal hold the approaching undead at bay.

Inside the dark and smokey building Alma fumbled with the ropes holding the stables shut. Pulling the gates of the stall open, he leapt into the pen, startling six heavily-muscled draft horses that were sheltering within. Shrieking in terror, the beasts galloped to the doors, just as the men beyond were muscling them open.

Catching the horses by their manes, the men began pulling themselves onto their broad backs.

In the snowy clearing beyond the buildings, Lornaal paused for a moment as he waited for the line of undead to get within range. He studied his opponents carefully, noting that a few seemed to possess a skulking demeanour while most of the others shambled forward with little sense of presence. Deciding that the malicious grin on one of the undead’s face was particularly offensive, Lornaal roared a beastial challenge before flinging his spear at the wight.

The spear sunk deep in the chest of the approaching undead, driving it to its knees. The menacing look in its eyes grew only more ferocious, however, as it struggled to its feet and began to surge forward.

Cora, you are more or less certain that the young girl that you seek is not among those thronging in the church floor. In your peripheral you are aware of the wight draining the life force from the village guard and his body falling to the stone floor. A chill runs up your spine as the terrifying reality sets in. If that man rises in un-death as well the advantage of strength and numbers could soon be with the assailants. You see Terrence manage to push his way through the crowd and make the stairs. It seems that he could not stomach leaving all of these innocents to such a terrible fate.

View
Lornaal - When death comes to play

Lornaal wrenched his spear from the chest of the dead logger and stalked across the snowy clearing towards the line of undead. His clear blue eyes evaluated his enemy as he pushed through the growing drifts.

A ragged line of men and women, they wore whatever clothing they had on when their lives ended in favour of this perversion of death. Some were clad in heavy furs, others merely in their bed clothes, and one boney man stood without any clothing at all, his sense of modesty gone with the last beat of his heart. The faces of the gathered mob were pale and wrinkled, their hair blowing wildly around their faces and their blackened hands hanging listlessly at their sides.

As the line began to advance, Lornaal noted that many of the shambling undead moved with a stiff and clumsy gait. Those that did so had eyes that were expressionless and jaws that tended to gape open. Only a half dozen or so moved with the creeping purpose described by Alma and Cora. In them a cunning maliciousness blazed in faces that were split with cruel grins.

Casting open his fur cloak, Lornaal allowed the biting wind to strike at his bare arms. The cold burn stung at the wound in his shoulder, building upon his fury. The great bear surged in his chest, drawing forth an animal like roar from the northman’s mighty lungs. As his enemy drew within range, Lornaal heaved his spear at the nearest opponent, drew his axe and waited to see if he could make these creeping corpses any more dead.

Attack: 11(d20) + 9 = 20

Damage: 7(d8) + 5 = 12

Hit Points: 48

AC: 19

View
Terrence-Veniset-So it begins...again
Must act quickly
Terrances’ plans to leave crumble like a fall leaf under foot as he hears screams fill the church and echo of the walls. Horror fills the air. He leaps up a pew and sees the figure engaged with a guard but the guard looks to be effected by what stories were told. Thinking fast he charges straight through the people. Pushing aside man, woman or child, if needed. Arrives at the front door, with weapon drawn, yelling,

Everybody to the front! Kill all who fall!!!

AC:19
HP:41
Init: D20+8=16+8=24

Strength to push people aside: D20+3=20(natural)+3=23 following any path left by the guard
Full move: 30ft x 4 =120 ft (halved) = 60 ft (Marker indicating where I stop) Top of stairs one square between myself and wight

View
A Night in Veniset 6
Here, the dead



Veniset: The Town Square

The screams from within the church prompt immediate, and in some cases panicked, action from the men of the village militia and the members of the Company of the Manticore. Those closest to the main doors of the church spring forward, pulling in vain at the iron rings of the barred wooden doors.

Responding to Matrim’s calls the men manning the ramshackle bridges and the roofs of the buildings (including two men on the church roof itself) respond that they see no signs of attackers in the streets beyond, nor can they see through the narrow windows set high in the walls of the church.

As he runs towards a ladder that will take him to the bridge closest to the church, Matrim carefully observes those around him, desperate for signs of any other attacker in their midst. He sees no signs of un-death amongst those he passes, but judging from how well they have hidden amidst them so far, he can not be certain.

Talton, flanked by Father Sim and Captain Gregor charges towards the front of the church, rushing up the steps and pushing through members of the militia who scream in vain at those struggling to open the doors.


Veniset: The Church

Unsure what to do, Terrence leaps onto the pew to get a view of the village militia men desperately doing battle with the wight. His plans to disappear into the night hang in tatters before him. The women and children surge towards the front of the church, hindering two of the guards who are pushing through the crush, trying to get into the fight.


The Lumber Camp

Reacting quickly to the appearance of the undead, Alma rushes past the cowed loggers and barrels straight into the rough boards of the burning building. Crashing through the wall, he stumbles into the pens, feeling about in the sudden dark to open the stall doors of the dozen or so large draft horses that crowd into the room.

Lornaal, hearing Alma’s shouted words pulls his spear from the chest of a dead logger and stalks towards the approaching undead, his growling challenges rumbling in the howling wind.

Cora, scrambling up the wall and onto the raised balcony you perch yourself in the shadows and scan the women and children pushing their way along the main aisle and in some cases over the backs of the pews. There must be a hundred people down there, all of them pressed together in one big screaming mob! Nargash, in the guise of the girl doesn’t appear to be amongst them, though.

View
Those sneaky bastards!!!

Talton springs immediately back to the church as he recognizes the danger. Running as fast as he can to get to the door, he realizes he is moving too slow in the howling storm and stops after 20’ and casts consecrate on the front of the church (centering it on the door). Knowing that it might help a little if a wight manages to kill any villagers within the radius; their souls will be saved from the torment of undeath.

Pelor save us.

With that he continues to head to the church hoping to get in.

View
Cora - .....

As cora begins to pick the lock of the back door. Sudden she pauses the screaming strikes her deep. She held before and most of the town was lost and almost lost her friend.

What am I doing this town will be lost if I leave now!

Cora say quietly to herself and turns back. But what if with all this commotion it was to place the little girl inside to access the threat with in the city. She find a spot to get look at everyone in the church and begins to look to see if she can see this little girl in the crowd.

Move silently:
1d20+11= 29 -19(1d20)+11

Spot:
1d20+6= 22 – 16(1d20)+6

I am doing this in the shadows by the way. I wont engage until I am satisfied that Nargash isn’t in the church or I see Terrance is trouble. Tell me if need to make different rolls or you can roll them.

View
Cora - ...

How did they get past the guards so easy?

Cora thinks as she makes her way through to the back door this doesn’t sit well with her leaving the people to die. But Terrance and her have one goal and dying stupidly isn’t it.

Cora will quietly lead Terrance through the town to her spot she found to lie low and plan for their next move or where the little will make her move.

View
Alma - Logging camp (slaughter)

Oh Shit!

Alma sheaths his blade as he runs straight at the wall behind which he hears the neighing horses, lowers his shoulders and smashes right through the slat board wall (in theory).

Alma has improved bull rush but I’m not sure if that helps (I know the wall doesn’t get an attack of opportunity :).

Strength check.
Roll(1d20)4:
15,
4
Total:19

If he bounces off Alma will curse and look for a way in…

If he crashes through the wall Alma will start shooing horses thru the new hole and yell.

Two men per horse ride hard for Viniset! If the horse falls get up and keep running these things don’t get tired!

Lornaal Hold them back! Try not to get surrounded! Don’t rage friend we cannot win this fight.

Handle Animal (to stop the already spooked horses from truly panicking)
Roll(1d20)7:
17,
7
Total:24

View
Matrim - Veniset Q&A

To arms Veniset, to arms!

The third arrow slams into Matrim’s target and the creature crumples to the ground. Matrim looks around the town square as Gregor’s shout rings through the blizzard. Upon inspection from the priests, the former farmer was indeed identified as a wight.

I apologize for my abruptness Captain, but I recognized the creature for what it was and reacted.

Talton’s voice raises above the howling wind and blinding snow, calling the villagers of Veniset to defense of their town. Captain Gregor extends his hand which Matrim grasps and he begins to apologize for his initial reaction. The words trail off as the screams from the church are heard throughout the town square. Matrim bellows his call once again.

To arms Veniset, to arms!!

Matrim nocks an arrow to his bow and rushes towards the church.

Quickly, is there any other way into the church? I will check with our rooftop lookouts to find out what they can or have seen.

Matrim will move as far as he can towards the closest ladder onto the roof of the church, searching for anymore signs of…un-life….around the town square.

Listen: 9(d20) + 10 = 19
Search: 19(d20) + 9 = 28
Spot: 12(d20) + 10 = 22

View

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.