Meta Ruins of Myvolia

T 'Alen - Aftermath - Things just don't add up

T ‘Alen backs away from the impromptu pyre looking around taking in the carnage, the smell of charred rotting flesh, the screams of the fallen, the roar of anger from the denizens who’s lives had been upended. The unchained rage of the northman finishing off the remaining shambling dead.

I thought there was supposed to be a horde of wights, this was not a horde. Dangerous yes, potential to create a much larger threat to the north, but not a horde.

What are we missing. would they have split their force to keep us occupied here while they went on to the next settlement to spread their vileness? or was this just a feint, with the main force coming at us when our guard is down.

T ’Alen races off to Brother Talton

Brother we need to speak. I have heard stories of members of faith being able to detect the energy that powers the walking dead, is this possible, and if so at what range can it be done? I fear this was merely a leading jab and that there is a larger force on the verge, just outside of our sight, waiting to roll over us in a wave of darkness when our guard has fallen from this victory. I for one do not want my soul doomed to an eternity of never touching the glory that is magic again. Please say you are able to detect them so we may prepare for their doom, or surge forth like one of Coras daggers into their heart, ending this threat once and for all.

View
Lornaal - Mop up

Lornaal wrenches the ichor-spattered head of his axe from the hewn remains of the undead. Snarling, he pushes aside the militiamen and town guard between him and the next shambling undead, delivering a powerful overhand attack, seeking to smash the creature into the ground.

Once the last of the undead have been dispatched, the northman recovers his spear and, moving between the corpses of the fallen, ensures that none return, stabbing into them with a cold, unemotional efficiency. Once assured that the immediate danger is over, Lornaal will begin clearing the bodies away from the barricades, throwing them into the fire.

Attack: 18 (d20) + 12 = 30
Damage: 5 (d12) + 7 = 12

AC: 19
HP: 59

View
Is that Fire Over-top of that Pitch?

The storm is now competing with the sounds of the pitched battling in the market square of Veniset. The blinding snow seems to be an afterthought for the combatants involved—just desperately trying to stay alive long enough to deal with the blizzard.

Market Square

Alma, seething at losing the footrace to the barricade, musters up a reserve of energy and rifles off his shield spell quicker than he’s ever been able to in his entire life. The energies seem to be flowing freely with his sword as he charges through the villagers. Bellowing for the people to avoid the creature on the right, he braces one foot onto a log and launches himself up to meet the creature. The beast seemed to be squaring off for Lornaal…and somehow didn’t see Alma; but, now the creature’s vision of Alma flips through his undead mind as Alma lops the head off of the wicked creature. The head flipping end over end arching over the fortifications to land with a thud on the other side.

Grunting distractedly Lornaal elbows Alma uncomfortably as he readjusts his attack to cut into the lumbering creatures coming down the other side of the barricade. Relishing the feel of the southern great axe in his hands, this new tool of destruction now creates a wake behind him as Lornaal wades into the night walkers. Two beasts fall under the large swinging blade of Lornaal’s axe in spectacular gore of black blood and rotting flesh.

Borrowing upon his wartime training in the fields of Gromolickland, T’alen tensely mutters the mystical words to his spell so that enemies close by can’t quite make out what he is saying. With practiced determination and artistic license he splits his spell into four cubes of fire bearing down on the undead creatures. The flames lick through ally and enemy alike melting the snow on the ground where the combatants were standing. Blackened corpses hit the ground in charred semblances of their prior lives. With a jolt T’alen remembers the barrels and barrels of pitch that were spread over the ground he is standing on…and the ground in front of the barrier…thankfully…he didn’t seem to set the pitch off into an inferno of flame. That was close.

Stepping up to the top of the northern barricade with a resolute look of fury and determination scrawled across his face, Talton grasps his holy symbol and thrusts it forward toward the onrushing undead.

Abominations! Face the pure light of the glorious might of Pelor!

A bright flash of silver cuts into the dark snowy night creating a strange blue afterglow in the corner of the eye of anyone close enough to see the display. A weird strangulating second passes as the walkers all look up into the face of the priest. Then in a cacophony of bones and ichor the creatures start to erupt into the stormy night like a line of firecrackers. Exploding in gouts of black muck and shattered bones the entire northern offence is decimated under the gaze of the devout man.

Talton takes a step back looking down at the western wall and up at the roof tops.

We are hunting now, men.

Just as Talton starts to step back down from the barricade the first sickening movements of a fallen city guard telegraphs an attack. The prone guard launches at Talton just barely missing the priest and snarls in unhindered rage. Talton lifting a leg to avoid the new spawn bellows out

The dead aren’t dead! Make sure the fallen are all taken care of!

Sebastian, trusting that the northern wall was becoming secure, runs over to the next fortification to check up with the men. Quickly clambering up the ramshackle barricade he orders the men to be on vigilant watch for a secondary attack…or worse yet spies. With a slight flutter of robes out of the corner of his eyes, Sebastian spots a wight damn near at the base of the barricade. Calling the wall to arms, with the practiced motion of a seasoned veteran he buries an arrow deep into the chest of the walker dressed in the garments of a village priest. There doesn’t seem to be a mob on this wall; but, there is no harm in being careful.

Seeing Talton brandishing his powers in such a way causes Terrence to add another layer of thought to the normally gruff priest. The target he was aiming for exploded before his eyes misting the snow and night sky with the innards of the foul beast. Absently thinking about where Cora could be, Terrence decides to climb up a barricade to have a look around. Suddenly he notices the lurching attack of the dead guardsman on the top of the northern wall. Swearing under his breath, Terrence quickly brings his bow up again to bear: with a smooth motion he puts an arrow right through the new spawn’s eye…but this doesn’t stop the beast’s thrashing.

Matrim coolly watches the undead detonate in the street below. Knowing through the few wisps of clarity amidst the gale of snow that the other barricade was holding its own, Matrim gathers the villagers on the roof. He orders each to check the positions of the others and report what was happening. As well, each was to scour the ground for other enemies. With that he runs across the bridge to have a better look at the battle on both sides. With practiced eyes he spots a walker on the street below opposite the street of the main force. The beast is just standing there staring at the villagers fortifications. Matrim draws his bow again and takes aim at the evil beast.

The town folk have, and are, fighting valiantly. Militiamen have followed Talton to man the northern wall in place of their fallen companions, they continue to battle the beasts on the western barricade and they stand vigilant upon the other fortifications. The guardsmen hold their positions strong and are quick to call out if there is a problem. The loggers have entered the fray with relish, now taking turns with the villagers pounding back the last three creatures on the western barricade. And now, Gregor has taken command of the eastern wall just in case there is a flank. These villagers are true northerners: strong, willing and able.

The creatures continue their assault: the three within the wall lash out with undisguised fury at the villagers surrounding them. The newly wakened creature, prone on the north wall, lashes out with pure hatred. The walker with Sebastian’s arrow in its chest charges up the northwest barricade and clutches at a guardsman with shinning green eyes draining the life force out of the brave villager. While others appear to be disappearing into the night: the creature that Matrim spotted took off into the darkness of the storm, the wight that killed the guardsman on the far side of the western wall retreated into the blinding snow and darkness and a single creature spotted by a militiaman on the roof watches the beast head north.

Cora

Managing to scale down the house while safely hiding in the shadows you crawl out to the edge of the road. The snow is higher than your prone form so you find no difficulty hiding from the now two creatures across the lane. While you were climbing another must have shown up. The original one is still calmly facing the barricade apparently watching the battle through the snow and darkness, while the other is gesticulating a bit erratically and pointing north. After a few seconds of ‘talking’ the ‘new’ wight fans a hand at the watcher and starts heading north past the house you were perched atop. The watcher continues to watch.

View
Terrence-Veniset-So it begins...round 2

Terrence takes aim at the raging wight and fires a shot from his bow.

Initiative: d20+8=15+8=23
Attack(ranged)=d20+9=8+9=17
Damage=d6+3+1=3+3+1=7
hp=41
ac=19

View
Cora - waits for spectator to make a move

Cora begins to sneak down the side of the house. She knows she will have to move quickly to keep up with her target should he decide to leave the battle.

Move Silently:
16 (1d20) + 11 = 27

Hide:
11 (1d20) + 12= 23

Track:
13 (1d20) + 5= 18

Spot:
18 (1d20) + 6= 24

View
Veniset Battle 2
Come get some

Lornaal’s blood rushes as he feels the deadly weight of his great axe. Seeing Alma closing with the sinister undead out of the corner of his eye, the northman leaps forward, determined to help slaughter this enemy first. Swinging the great axe in a mighty arc, Lornaal drives forward on corded muscles seeking to smash the unlife right out of the sneering foe.

If that is only a five foot step between Lornaal and the wight, he will make two attacks with his great axe. If not, he will only be able to make one. If the wight goes down before the end of his turn, Lornaal will concentrate instead on cutting down the closest undead.

Lornaal will use Power Attack on both attacks:

Attack #1: 10 (d20) + 12 – 3 (Power Attack) = 19
Damage: 5 (d12) + 7 + 3 (Power Attack) = 15

Attack #2: 15 (d20) + 7 – 3 (Power Attack) = 19
Damage: 10 (d20) + 7 + 3 (Power Attack) = 20

Initiative: 10 (d20) + 3 = 13 (if needed)
AC: 19
Hit Points: 59

View
Alma - Leave the pretty one to me!

Alma quickly casts his shield spell then bull rushes the first non shambling opponent he lays eyes on. Alma will “bully” his way through friend or foe to get to the wights. He will order any non Manticore combatant to disengage with the wights as soon as he is able to get there.

I got this one Lads help with the slow ones!

Alma only hits zombies when he can cleave thru and hit a wight otherwise he moves to engage a wight. If that’s not possible he cleaves a couple zombies.

Initiative:
Roll(1d20)2:
18,
6
Total:24

Bull Rush
Roll(1d20)10: (2 charge 4 Strength +4 Improved Bull rush Feat)
12,
10
Total:22

HP: 43
AC: 24

View
T 'Alen - Vineset Round 2

Seeing the wall of undead surge over the western barricade T’ Alen pushes closer to the mass of shambling flesh and the line of stout defenders hoping for a chance to help out with a well placed spell.

T ’Alen reaches out his hands, thumbs touching and fingers spread wide while intoning the word of power required letting loose a gout of flame upon the attackers.

Initiative: d20+2 = [d20]20 + 2 = 22
Burning Hands(Sculpted)
Level: Wiz 2
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 15 ft.
Area: 4 – 10 foot cubes
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: Yes
Damage: 5d4: [5d4]:2,3,3,4,4 = 16

cubes are set with 4 red markers on the map

View
Veniset - Round 2

The vile creatures below in the street continue their push to get past the barricade. The men are brave and valiant in trying to repel the attack, but some men succumb to the undead assault. Recognizing the menace that the wight can unleash, and witnessing it push on after already sporting arrows from its body, Matrim knows this target has to fall as fast as possible. With a flurry of motion, white fletchings are pulled to cheek and released at the creature, looking to strike with fury and vengeance.

Attack 1: 14(d20) + 13(Base attack) + 1(Point Blank) +2(weapon) +1(focus) -2(Rapid Shot)= 29
Damage 1: 5(d8) +3(weapon) +1(P.B.) = 9

Attack 2: 17(d20) + 8(atk) + 1(P.B.) +2(weapon) +1(focus) -2(R.S.) = 27
Damage 1: 7(d8) +3(weapon) +1(P.B.) = 11

Attack 3 (Rapid Shot Feat): 16(d20) + 13(atk) + 1(P.B.) +2(weapon) +1(focus) -2(R.S.) = 31
Damage 1: 8(d8) +3(weapon) +1(P.B.) = 12

Initiative: 17(d20) +10 = 27
HP: 49
AC: 19

View
Blood in the Market Square

Veniset Market Square

The aching shriek of the blizzard is now accented with the deep curdling screams of death and the clattering of battle. The simple market square has devolved into a pulsating miasma of undeath creeping over the rim and spilling into the gentle town.

Most of the undead walk with a strange stilted gait while others seem to move with a supernatural fluidity…and deadly intent. The stumbling masses of walking corpses have climbed over the western barricade crashing into the quickly formed line of defence. The militiamen, to their great credit, fell in line at the command of T’alen and got a wave of arrows into the clawing mass of undeath before they breached the defences. While the northern barricade remains intact as two guardsmen and two militiamen fight hard against their fear and stand their ground on the top of the barrier. A steady rain of arrows drops from the wind-torn sky into the onrushing forces of death care of the hearty souls on the rooftops.

Western Barricade

Nothing but a mass of moving bodies can be made out in the blowing blizzard. Friend and foe is mostly distinguished by west and east except for those brief seconds of a lull that flash the horror for everyone to see. Those brief flashes of the battlefield come almost as a waking dream; but, must be acted upon succinctly.

As the mass of undead clambered over the barrier the militiamen, with bows trained, manage to down two of the attacking creatures who simply crumple adding to the flotsam of the barrier. The singularly dangerous looking spirit on the northern end of the barrier jumped over the logs with ease and immediately engaged the first militiaman in his path. Lornaal sensing the sheer danger of the creature looses one of his spears directly into the chest of the beast. Three glowing magical darts sheer through the snow ridden night to bombard the creature a second time, a gift from T’alen. A look of sheer malevolence decorates the spirit’s face as he grasps the militiaman’s arm and starts draining the young man…seemingly giving the spirit more strength.

The loggers, with great bellowing war cries, are charging the wall with axes held high and fur coats flailing in the wind. The rest of the unposted militiamen fall in and guardsmen and militiamen alike battle the creatures at the wall. Alma, just a step behind the action, has raised his arcane defenses while Talton bestowed upon the Cyonian warrior the benefit of Death Ward…to keep his soul intact as he rushes into the battle.
Cora, silently watching what little she can see through the gusts of clear air, must listen to the horrors of battle unfold without the distinct knowledge of what force is winning and which is losing. It is apparent the one creature holding back is simply watching: why you are unsure. Perhaps this is just a test, perhaps this creature is a coward, perhaps he has a darker purpose or plan…the possibilities are uncomfortable limitless.

The Northern Barrier

A crush of bodies rush in to hold the smaller northern barricade. Matrim, atop the church, runs up to the peak on the northern side to get the best view: unleashing two arrows into what appears to be the leader of the charge, a smooth moving creature on the western flank. Arrows rain from all directions as guardsmen and militiamen lob shots over the barricade as well as at the top row of combatants. The clash is vicious as guards and militia alike take down the front row of attackers in concert with the arrows raining from the wind-torn night. But the clash isn’t without casualty as the two front guards and militia succumb to the battling of the rancorous creatures.
Sebastian and Terrence both take aim at the wight, now at the top of the barrier riddling it with arrows. Six arrows spring from the torso of the beast as he bellows in rage and throws a militiaman off the top of the barricade feeding off the fallen villager’s soul to sustain his undeath even further. Talton after bestowing the death ward onto Alma turns back and faces the wall holding his holy symbol and getting ready to charge up into the breach.

Posts due by 5:00 pm Wednesday the 22nd of January. The quicker the posts come the more likely I will choose to give ‘comment’ responses that will sometimes supply bonus actions similar to surprise rounds. That is how T’alen and Lornaal engaged in combat so quickly last round.

View

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.